Welcome back once again, my friends! You’re currently looking at what is the last required blog post for my capstone class! I know, I know, it’s rather saddening, but worry not. I absolutely plan to keep posting development updates for Sword of the Sorcerer here if we make it through cuts on the 22nd of this month. As for this post in particular, I’ve got just a few new things to share.
First off, our completely expanded tutorial is nearly complete! We’re cutting it a little close here with it, but we’ll definitely be able to have the entire thing completed and implemented into the game by the end of this coming Tuesday night, which is still awesome! We’ve also already created all of the VO for the tutorial and made new effects and improvements to the old effects for the three different spells in the game. I know, in writing it may not sound like a lot, but this was a labor, and I mean labor, of love that took several hours for all of us to accomplish. Hell, we even think that with the completely expanded tutorial and the newer effects and feedback in the game that we’ll have a pretty good chance of making it through the cuts. Now tomorrow is the start of the final week before game presentations, which means we should really only be focusing on two things: making our presentation and fixing any bugs that we can (also implementing the final part of the tutorial). That’s actually what I’d like to center this blog post on: the final stretch and the game presentations themselves.
Before I go any deeper, I’ve got a tiny bit of good news. Originally, you had to be in the Vertical Slice phase of development to be guaranteed a presentation spot while you could ask to present in the Proof of Concept phase (the one we’re in). That all still holds true, but the good news is that our professor said that no matter what we get into the game, he wants us to present. That means that regardless of what happens, we are already guaranteed a presentation spot for the 21st, which is awesome! 🙂 Besides that, let’s chat about what has to go on for this final week of development before the presentations. Like I said already, this final week should be spent doing nothing but fixing bugs and working on our presentation, but what exactly goes into that? Well, here’s how stuff works:
- We’re given a maximum of 10 minutes to present our game to the audience (the other teams that are presenting and the professors).
That’s it. That’s the only real thing we have to go on. So what do we plan to do? Well, the point of the presentations is to get people hyped up for our game, to get them excited for it. To that end, we’ve decided to create a 2-3 minute game trailer to showcase some of the best cherry-picked moments of gameplay we can find in order to give people the best possible show we can. That means that the majority of this week will be recording gameplay and video editing along with the minor bug fixing. To close out, I’ll lay out exactly how we’re thinking our presentation will go:
- Introduce ourselves, our team and our game.
- George will read the narrative (still being considered).
- We’ll launch into the 2-3 minute trailer of the game.
- We’ll explain what we think can still be done with our game were it to move forward and what we’d like to implement overall.
- We’ll also explain which people (by roles) that we need or would like in order to make the new feature additions possible.
- End with any possible questions from the audience.
Not too complicated, I think. Still, by the time we get to the 21st, this whole plan could have changed drastically. Right now, we’re going off of what we’ve heard from professors and what we instinctively think we should do to pitch our game. This may not have been my most exciting post, I know, but forgive me for that as this is a rather stressful time. Regardless, here’s hoping that we succeed in our endeavor and that Sword of the Sorcerer will live on into next semester. Wish us luck! 1…2…3…Woo Ladders!